Friday, April 14, 2017

Chapter 8 Gatsby

" I felt that I had something to tell him" 147
- I feel something big might be happening. Kinda see this line as those times where people felt something bad was going to happen, but didn't say anything till it was too late. Wonder what this could be
" Nothing happened" 147
- Relates back to what Nick said at the end of the previous chapter, where he stood and looked over nothing. How is Gatsby right now mentally? Dark place? Confused?
" It was this night that he told me the strange story of his youth" 148
- Why did Nick decide to include the story of Dan Cody chapters before?
 " I can't describe to you how surprised I was to find out I loved her" 150
- Would Daisy's and Gatsby's life be better if they never met? Is Gatsby happy?
 - I feel with Gatsby obsessed with her, it's bringing his life down. In this case, though, it's safe to say, if they never met, Gatsby would have never had the pursue to get filthy rich, and maybe could have been a happier person, despite not having the money. Tying into the American Dream concept. Is Gatsby American Dream love?
"They're a rotten crowd, You're worth the whole damn bunch put together" 154
- Remember this line in the movie. Why does it mean so much to Nick that he said this? I somewhat get the sense that Gatsby does not make it out of the book alive, considering Nick focuses so much on how glad he said that, considering it's the only compliment he ever gave him.
" I have a way of finding out " 158
- In the movie, I remember Tom tells him that it was Gatsby. Can't recall if that happened in the book. I am going to assume that it does, considering ti makes sense. What will he do? Is he seeking revenge?
" Doctor T.J. Eckleburg" 159
- More focus on his eyes. They have been posted a lot, and I am getting the sense that they represent that there is always someone watching their actions and them in general. A lot of the characters lie in this book, and most of the truth about them eventually comes out.
"God sees everything" 160
- Interesting line, that relates to my previous comment in a way.
" The gardener saw Wilson's body a little way off in the grass, and the holocaust was complete." 
- Alright, so he shot Gatsby and killed himself
- Before this, Nick was talking in a way that he felt Gatsby was done in this world, and his fate was set in stone in a way. Found that interesting.
- What does he mean by holocaust was complete? Believe it means mass murder, but only two have died.

What part of Gatsby died before he was murdered?
- In the book itself, Nick says, "He no longer cared. That he had lost the old warm world, paid a high price for living too long with a single dream." With this quote, I think it seems that Gatsby felt he had no purpose in life, and it was his time. So, I think Gatsby was already "dead" before Wilson murdered him. You can also say his dream died before he was murdered by looking at the quote.


No comments:

Post a Comment